Friday, May 14, 2010

Kids, aliens, diversity and Carson City/Reno

Don't you think Star Trek's aliens are a great way to help kids role-play to explore diversity?

That's why I'm in Carson City, Nev., in the Reno/Tahoe region... making Klingon forehead ridges for a baldcap (at right)... and hoping the kids come by the youth corner Saturday for the annual Multicultural Day at Western Nevada College. My buddy and educator Daryl Frazetti is to blame--he of the genre anthropology con panels that are so popular he's doing a book and starting a educator's group on genre pop culture as teaching aids. Catch us from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Marlette Hall of the Cedar Building, but there's also an outdoor food court and music festival with some headliner acts.

I had no idea this was such a genius idea, but it must be: my BFF and ST The Experience character actress extraordinaire April Hebert just tweeted me they used to do this in Vegas schools all the time as outreach in their STTE personnae, and "the kids loved it." So there you go!

So if you're in the region, bring the kids by from 11 am to 4 p.m. Saturday. Maybe they'll get to be a Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite, Klingon or human ambassador and get to solve some galactic dilemma... every half hour. (Hey, that's twice as fast as Starfleet's heroes!)

1 comment:

dfrazetti said...

Thanks so much Larry! I was glad to see that this idea has been used for education in the past. You have a real knack for working with the kids... and for on the run Andorian and Klingon gear! HA! I thoroughly enjoyed your visit and thought you did a super job... as did the college...they are mailing something to you! :D
Thanks for the plugs on my work - much to come on that! I started up a site on academia.edu and have some work posted there now and also have the main page of a blog up now! Lots to do, but I will keep you posted! You are a great person and friend... and now cool kick ass Trek educator with the youth! Thanks so much!